[aur-general] Advice needed maintaining boost-compute

Julien JPK julienjpk at email.com
Fri Nov 11 18:19:24 UTC 2016

On 11/11/16 17:47, Giancarlo Razzolini via aur-general wrote:
> Using a helper to confirm if a PKGBUILD is "ok" is so bad of a practice
> that I don't even know where to begin. Use the tools for the job, makepkg
> and, devtools. Let the helpers to deal with it. It's their job to make
> sure your package installs (provided you follow best practices).

I'm pretty sure I'd get in trouble if I flooded the git commit log
trying to fix my mistakes through yaourt. That's like trying to fix a
bug in a production environment... Fact is, I should have been more
careful when building with makepkg ; yaourt was just intended as a final
"polish" to make sure the "quick and easy" install worked. I should have
noticed the error when building:

> Packages re-use the building directory. This is were building in a
> clean chroot comes in handy. At minimum, use makepkg's -C option.

Yup, I'll make sure I confirm the build's validity in a clean(er)
environment in the future. I did encounter the conflict earlier but I
disregarded it because I thought it was simply due to the mess of a
because it is more systematic than I am), but at this point in the
updating process, I agree that no errors should have occurred:

On 11/11/16 18:02, Eli Schwartz via aur-general wrote:
> yaourt can only tell you if you successfully pushed the update to the
> AUR website.

Exactly, that's what I intended to use it for. Instead, it pointed out a
mistake I had missed earlier.

> I strongly encourage you to learn how the package management and
> dependency/conflict resolution system works, it is extremely valuable
> information for any AUR user (whether they maintain packages or just
> download them).

I have a few things to review before I start working on actually
significant package updates. I'll make sure I have a cleaner "AUR
maintaining" environment to avoid missing such obvious errors in the
future. I'll also make myself more acquainted with the whole process,
since a better understanding of it would have signalled the error to me
in time.

Regarding boost-compute, I suppose I'll just file a deletion request for
the package. Anyone using it has had to download boost anyway, and if
they kept their system up-to-date, they should already have the compute
code from the boost package in extra.

Thanks again!

--
Julien JPK (0xC3075A58)