[aur-general] Advice needed maintaining boost-compute

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 18:38:31 UTC 2016

On 11/11/2016 01:19 PM, Julien JPK wrote:
> I have a few things to review before I start working on actually
> significant package updates. I'll make sure I have a cleaner "AUR
> maintaining" environment to avoid missing such obvious errors in the
> future. I'll also make myself more acquainted with the whole process,
> since a better understanding of it would have signalled the error to me
> in time.

Sounds like a plan. :)

In case you are also looking for a way to easily maintain the local
clones of your AUR repo, here is a free plug for my setup:
https://github.com/eli-schwartz/pkgbuilds

As Giancarlo Razzolini mentioned, using makechrootpkg from the devtools
project is a great way to make sure you are doing things right
(including proper dependencies) -- it is what the Arch devs use to build
the core/extra/community repositories.

> Regarding boost-compute, I suppose I'll just file a deletion request for
> the package. Anyone using it has had to download boost anyway, and if
> they kept their system up-to-date, they should already have the compute
> code from the boost package in extra.

That sounds like the right approach.

A little exploring gets me this gem from the docs:
"Boost.Compute is not yet an offical Boost library and therefore is not
packaged with the standard Boost distribution."

I guess that has just changed, note the GitHub repo also redirects from
the "kylelutz" account to "boostorg"... which is remarkable timing for
your decision to adopt it. ;)
Still, learning what this kind of issue means can only be a good thing,
I am sure you will recognize such problems in the future. :)

--
Eli Schwartz