[aur-general] "pepper-flash" naming?

Det nimetonmaili at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 10:51:51 UTC 2016

After all this unclarity (especially concerning issues 2 years ago), I
think some things might need some clarity. I mean, I guess this really
needs summing up... :D

(also, sorry about the garbled plain text replies. Just now
realized/remembered (hope so) how to do that right in Gmail)

On 2016-11-13 21:12, Eli Schwartz via aur-general wrote:
> Well, you initially complained about it on 2016-09-14, started nudging
> again on 2016-11-02 and 2016-11-12, and on the last occasion proceeded
> to get into an internet fight over it (once your nudnik behavior finally
> agitated a response to go away) then attempted to appeal to peer
> pressure by raising support for your position on the mailing list, using
> a stratagem that includes accusations such as "the maintainer is
> throwing his tantrum"...

I'm sorry but that's bogus. Not only did I ask repeatedly because I
wanted to get an answer, but since he gave me _none_, I asked the
mailing list instead.

That thing about "fighting" and "peeling pressure", I'm sorry, is
simply over-sensitive and ridiculous.

On 2016-11-13 21:12, Eli Schwartz via aur-general wrote:
> At least two people insinuated that you may have a "collecting mania"
> and/or a "control mania" for AUR packages (cf. "[aur-general] Should TUs
> tolarate inapropiate behavior in the AUR?", Feb. 2016)[1] which would
> lend weight to the idea that your irrational investment in this is not
> my imagination.

First of all, many people seem to _appreciate_ the fact that I keep
their package up-to-date in a very consistent manner (of which I have
a lot, as you implied) and every now and then they thank me. Makes me
happyface.

Yes, I maintain 107 packages, most of which are split or -git, so in
essence require no extra work. But... if the argument is that I care
too much about the general health of AUR... yes, I just don't know at
which point does this become a such a major concern, if those apparent
quote-unquote-toxic comments of mine are the worst that can happen
(see 2nd reply on that).

And about that vuze thing you decided to dig up..., well, quick story,
over 2 years ago, I flagged the then "vuze-plugin-i2p" out-of-date,
because the project was no longer maintained. I posted 3 comments
about it to try and give the direct link to the new one (you couldn't
edit comments back then, of which by the way, due to my control mania,
I finally created a feature request back in April 2013 [1]).

This "mildly p*ssed" the maintainer, causing him to create a bug
report [2] where falconindy also joined in (apparently still angry at
me over a comment that he never admits his mistakes), and the two
concluded that I'm 1) "not a very well-socialized individual", and 2)
"need a thourough[sic] dusting in public". Asked both in private, but
apparently silence had landed in.

Second time, slightly over a year ago (July 2015), I suggested a fix
of the broken homepage URL in "vuze" to the maintainer (same guy). [3]
Well, again, he was incredibly upset by it, calling me an "antisocial
self" and actually claiming that I "insulted" him in the past. He then
spammed 5 comments of a message beginning with "Hahahaha!" and was
never heard from again. (By me, until the apparent mailing list thread
this year.)

The other person you linked unfortunately didn't (AFAIK) give any
names of packages that I had apparently been flagging so can't comment
on that.

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 9:32 AM, Bartłomiej Piotrowski
<bpiotrowski at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Det, TLDR, a rename is not going to happen. Almost every message or
> comment from you is toxic in some way and you can be sure that implying
> that member of the project is "throwing a tantrum" after your pointless
> AUR comments is not going to bring you anywhere.

Thank-you very much, but not only do I see zero "toxicity" or
"pointlessness" in my comments, but I'll just conclude this thing
suggesting that maybe, possibly you guys may simply need a slightly
thicker skin.

Really, no offense, no intent to hurt anyone's feelings, but how long
have you guys been using the internet?

And, you are probably going to stamp this piece as "entirely toxic",
but what's important is that the message is out there... but I'm glad
I asked, for now I finally got some real arguments about what I was
originally asking. :D

Thanks for everyone's contributions.

[1] = https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/34690
[2] = https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/42481