[aur-general] Upstream version numbers that break pacman version comparison

brent timothy saner brent.saner at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 08:12:58 UTC 2016

On 11/22/2016 03:07 AM, Bennett Piater wrote:

> On 11/22/2016 08:58 AM, brent timothy saner via aur-general wrote:
>> what i'd recommend is instead use 8.5 -> 8.5.1 -> 8.5.2
>>
>> and then have a _pkgver= variable with the actual string, if it's needed
>> later in the build. i.e.:
>
> I don't like this because it prevents users from seeing which version
> they installed with pacman -Qi.
> Many will want to be able to look up their version online, e.g. for
> changelogs or security advisories.
>
> It's ugly, but I guess bumping epoch is the only solution here.
>
> Cheers,
> Bennett

It's worth noting openssh uses the same versioning naming (though i
don't see what's so hard to mentally replace the last minor with a p in
front).

Here's the PKGBUILD:

https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/openssh

they don't seem to use epoch. my suspicion, if pacman indeed doesn't
recognize the updated version per your claims, is that they bump the
pkgrel but CBA to clone the repository and look through the past commits.