[aur-general] Upstream version numbers that break pacman version comparison

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org
Tue Nov 22 08:35:51 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 03:12:58AM -0500, brent timothy saner via aur-general wrote:
> It's worth noting openssh uses the same versioning naming (though i
> don't see what's so hard to mentally replace the last minor with a p in
> front).
>
> Here's the PKGBUILD:
>
> https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/openssh

Interesting, thanks.  However, upstream starts each new minor version at
p1, so it looks like:

    7.2p1 → 7.2p2 → 7.3p1 → etc

which works fine for pacman.  The problematic behaviour for pacman would
be:

    7.2p1 → 7.2p2 → 7.3 → 7.3p1 → etc

In the case of coq, I guess this is something that should ideally be fixed
upstream.

Baptiste