[aur-general] Upstream version numbers that break pacman version comparison

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Tue Nov 22 11:28:40 UTC 2016

Em novembro 22, 2016 6:35 Baptiste Jonglez escreveu:
> Interesting, thanks.  However, upstream starts each new minor version at
> p1, so it looks like:
>
>     7.2p1 → 7.2p2 → 7.3p1 → etc

Worth nothing that OpenSSH releases the so called "portable" versions. Hence
the 'p'.

> which works fine for pacman.  The problematic behaviour for pacman would
> be:
>
>     7.2p1 → 7.2p2 → 7.3 → 7.3p1 → etc
>
> In the case of coq, I guess this is something that should ideally be fixed
> upstream.

What a horrible, ugly way to version packages. If they could fix it upstream,
its better. And it might even benefit other distributions. Otherwise I'd go
with the 7.2.p2 scheme. Messing with epoch should be your last resort.

Cheers,
Giancarlo Razzolini