[aur-general] TU Application NicoHood

NicoHood aur-general at nicohood.de
Sat Sep 3 12:00:21 UTC 2016

Hey guys,
I am maintaining the AUR arduino packages for a while now and
think its time for it to get its place in the official community repository.

If you do not know Arduino, it is a development platform for several
microcontrollers and widely used for education and also in commercial
products. This is also how I came to programming and linux.
https://www.arduino.cc/

I've been using arduino now for over 2 years now starting with version
1.0.5. Since then I've developed a lot libraries for Arduino and also an
USB Bootloader. Furthermore I've also contributed to the official
package, as you can see in the changelog. You can find those below:
https://github.com/NicoHood
http://www.nicohood.de
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ReleaseNotes

Since version 1.6.9 I've joined the AUR packaging of arduino. I've
worked together with Loen (who deleted his account for some reason) as
co-maintainer. Since he disappeared I am the main maintainer now. We
have solved so far:
* General package update
* avrdude fix
* use less source files, use builtin xml and desktop file
* make depenedencies more generic
* PKGBUILD cleanup
* rebuild the system with arch's java (200mb less)
* fix java7&8 building
* fix java7&8 starting of the app
* separate packages for bin and git package
* official sha512sums from upstream for bin package
* added arduino-builder to PATH
* Fixed package permissions upstream myself
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/arduino/

As you can see arduino is widely used and very popular on arch (over 500
votes). I think it would be a huge plug for arch if it could officially
support the arduino package. Arch also has the most up to date avr-gcc
and avrdude binaries, so all avr development would be in place.

I follow the arduino github issues and PRs, so I always know whats going
on with the project. I know the arduino team quite good, which you can
also see in the changelog. If I have an important question or request
(like the sha512sums) they will likely listen to me. That's why I was
also able to fix some of the major problems listed above.

Appart from arduino I want to maintain a few other packages also.
I thought it would be better to start with a small package number and
then increase them over the time. I didn't want to request too much, however
alucryd suggested me to list a few more packages than only arduino.

I do not own all of them, but I've modified/updated them myself. I want
to make
sure that I am able to provide high quality packages, so I chose
packages I also
use myself. I can imagine maintaining those packages in the following
preferred order.

* gtk-theme-arc
* arc-icon-theme
* hyperion
* create_ap
* python(2)-pyusb
* pyhton(2)-intelhex
* python(2)-pyqrcode
* ipod-shuffle-4g
* (spotify)

As I've explained very detailed the arduino package I want to keep it
short for
the others: I've been using them now for a very long time mostly or
developed
for those packages myself, so I know how to package them properly.

I've first contacted farseerfc who wants to sponser me, but suggested me
to also
contact a TU that is longer in the business, and though I asked alucryd
and he
also wants to sponsor me. anatolik also agreed that I should take over
the pyusb
package if my TU application gets accepted. I am very active on IRC, AUR and
github issues. If there is a question you can always ask :)

Thanks for your attention.

PS: I've signed this message with my new PGP package key and my current
email
PGP key. New key identifier: 7865312C829DF18E513A539BCC637E15FD4328D3