[aur-general] Package proprietary softwares with hard-coded paths within /usr/local?

Chi-Hsuan Yen yan12125 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 12:21:21 UTC 2017

Hello Arch enthusiasts,

I'd like to create a package for Pulse Connect Secure, a popular VPN
software. Current PKGBUILD can be found at [1]. That package works
fine, but it conflicts with Arch's packaging guideline. [2]

"Packages should never be installed to /usr/local"

The reason I put files in /usr/local is that file paths are apparently
hard-coded. Specifically, the VPN frontend (pulseUi) loads assets from
/usr/local/pulse/html, and then it invokes /usr/local/pulse/pulsesvc
to actually connects to VPN.

Is there a workaround for this?

Best,

Yen Chi Hsuan