[aur-general] Package proprietary softwares with hard-coded paths within /usr/local?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Aug 6 18:35:11 UTC 2017

On 08/06/2017 08:21 AM, Chi-Hsuan Yen via aur-general wrote:
> Hello Arch enthusiasts,
>
> I'd like to create a package for Pulse Connect Secure, a popular VPN
> software. Current PKGBUILD can be found at [1]. That package works
> fine, but it conflicts with Arch's packaging guideline. [2]
>
> "Packages should never be installed to /usr/local"
>
> The reason I put files in /usr/local is that file paths are apparently
> hard-coded. Specifically, the VPN frontend (pulseUi) loads assets from
> /usr/local/pulse/html, and then it invokes /usr/local/pulse/pulsesvc
> to actually connects to VPN.
>
> Is there a workaround for this?

Not much you can do with software which encodes violations of packaging
guidelines in its proprietary binaries. Depending on where the
information is stored, you might be able to patch it...

/usr/local/pulse *gags*

If software insists on being installed to
"/completely/arbitrary/directory" then you either package it anyway or
you don't. But I suppose you could try asking them to install it in /opt
instead.

--
Eli Schwartz