[aur-general] Review request for a PKGBUILD

Leonid Bloch leonid.bloch at esrf.fr
Sun Jan 8 05:42:30 UTC 2017

Eli, thanks for your review!

Comments inline.

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 7:13 AM, Eli Schwartz via aur-general
<aur-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 01/07/2017 11:59 PM, Leonid Bloch wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to push the following PKGBUILD to AUR. It is useful for those
>> who want to use HDF5 files with LZ4 compression.
>>
>> There are two things that bother me about it:
>> 1) The upstream repository contains 4 directories: LZ4, BLOSC, BZIP2,
>> and docs. Of which only LZ4 is used. I just "git rm -rf" the unneeded
>> directories, as you can see. But it doesn't seem very elegant.
>
> Any especial need to rm it? If it isn't used then you can just ignore
> that it is there. :)

Space considerations? Is there a problem with removing them if so?

> Your PKGBUILD syntax looks fine, the only small nit I have is that by
> convention the printf uses "r%s.g%s" (see the "VCS package guidelines"
> wiki page).

Maybe I'm missing something, but the wiki says "r%s.%s" if there are no tags.

> sha1 is weak, but given that the /etc/profile.d dropin is downloaded
> with the PKGBUILD it is no worse than using md5sums=('SKIP') for git
> repos rather than skipping sha256 instead. :D It remains debatable
> whether the average AUR maintainer actually checks sources first anyway...

Agree. Will use sha256, just as a good practice. Just as I look at
others' PKGBUILDs for examples, someone might look at mine. :)