[aur-general] TU Application: Bruno Pagani

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 17:38:15 UTC 2017

On 01/10/2017 10:11 AM, Levente Polyak wrote:
> certbot-user:
> - I think it may change at some point, but right now like every python
>   package i know does -O1 on install

Details on that changing? I haven't seen any discussion anywhere.

Arch doesn't seem to have an explicit policy listed anywhere, why I am
not sure, but the Python Packaging Policies for other distros that I
have seen all seem to agree that pyc and pyo files are both mandatory.
e.g. :
- RPM -- should be created with `python -m compileall ...; python -O -m
compileall ...` when necessary, or rather an arcane macro provided by
the packaging tool.
- DEB -- is a linting error, should be created/updated by post-install
hooks and when the system python is updated, and removed by pre-remove
hooks.

> - you could also do a --skip-build when building separately in the
>   build() function

I do this myself, although I have seen a lot of packages that don't -- I
think I first saw it in python-setuptools. Bikesheddably useful :o on
the grounds that package() should never have to do the work of build().

You'll notice that this makes the installation step no longer report an
empty attempt to run build, build_py before install, install_py.

> mpd-server-minimal:
> - maybe sed-ing the mpd.service.in in a prepare() would be nicer then
>   after processing/install in the package() function

That, plus learning to use the "-e" flag to pass multiple sed patterns
rather than using multiple sed invocations on a single file.

--
Eli Schwartz