[aur-general] TU Application: Dan Printzell

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Fri Jul 28 15:09:43 UTC 2017

On 07/28/2017 05:49 AM, Bartłomiej Piotrowski wrote:
> On 2017-07-28 01:14, Christian Rebischke wrote:
>> Don't get that wrong, but I am wondering how much people this D-packages
>> really need. Do we have so much D programmers outside?
>
> Don't get me wrong, but I am wondering how much people use systemtap or
> playerctl? According to pkgstats it's not 2% and 5% and both aren't even
> listed in Stackoverflow!
>
>> Additionally some of the package that you want to move don't have so
>> much votes nor popularity.
>
> It never was a hard rule.

Yeah, even the rule itself always gave me the impression of being a
floor on what is okay for inclusion, since the repos shouldn't be filled
with packages no one actually uses other than the maintainer and like 2
other people in the world.

>> So I would like to know: Are you also interested in maintaing other
>> packages besides D specific packages? We have really a lot of orphans in
>> community.
>
> Will leave that to Dan to respond in detail but first, D toolchain is
> orphan anyway and second, it's fine to take care only of one area in
> repository.
>
>> 1. You want to surround $pkgname-$pkgver and $pkgver in your source with
>> double quotes:
>
> And I guess it has to be done because suddenly manually set variables
> will explode with whitespace?
I certainly hope that isn't a criteria for becoming a TU, given that I
see a pattern whereby repository PKGBUILDs start losing their quotes
around every variable that cannot have whitespace, as a specific style
approach of a number of Devs/TUs.

e.g. the *depends* license and arch arrays.

At least one TU even manually generates their checksums and inserts them
by hand without the single quotes `makepkg -g` creates.

And now the inconsistency is bothering me, because I don't think anyone
ever quotes the pkgver/pkgrel/epoch, and usually not the pkgname either,
so by rights we *shouldn't* quote the arch, make/depends, conflicts,
replaces, provides, *sums, validpgpgkeys, and some optdepends and
licenses either.

*looks at his AUR packages and shudders*

--
Eli Schwartz