[aur-general] Should "base" packages be listed as dependencies?

NicoHood archlinux at nicohood.de
Wed Mar 22 21:36:48 UTC 2017

On 03/22/2017 10:12 PM, Doug Newgard wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 21:45:13 +0100
> Baptiste Jonglez <baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org> wrote:
>>
>> Am I missing something obvious?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Baptiste
>
> There's no specific rule about it. Some packagers will include packages in base
> in the depends, some won't. It's completely up to them.

You need to include base packages which are not in base-devel, as the
package won't build without those sometimes. For example some packages
detect systemd at build time and then adds its service files to the
package. At least as makedepends they need to be specified.

I was also angry about this first, but this is actually a more clear way
to build packages without unnecessary dependencies. Every user should
build packages using devtools anyways to detect deps properly and to
produce clean packages.

~Nico