[aur-general] Git based AUR package repo

David Phillips david at sighup.nz
Tue Nov 7 03:42:21 UTC 2017

On Mon, Nov 06, 2017 at 07:25:04PM -0800, Amitav Mohanty via aur-general wrote:
> Hi

Hello

> I have a proposition for AUR package builds. Currently, if a package goes
> out of date, it can be flagged so but we need the maintainer to update it.

Makes sense so far.

> So, if a non-maintainer wants to send the update the package build, (s)he
> will need to create a new package. [...]

What? Why not just post a link to a patch/diff on the package?

> [...] My proposition is to have a git based
> system where a package's related files can be maintained.

The AUR /is/ currently git-based?

> [...] So, the following
> benefits can be targeted:
> - to update a package build, one does not need to copy the old one and
> create a new package; sending a PR will suffice

Again, what is wrong with posting a link to a patch or diff in the package's
comments

> - the maintainer model can be improved. A core set of maintainers or an
> active and trusted set of maintainers can review such PRs if the maintainer
> is not available.

Packages can have more than one maintainer on the AUR. If a package is
ditched for so long that intervention is needed for a package to be taken
off the maintainer and given to someone else who is willing to maintain it,
then this is what the Trusted Users are for.

> - even if no reviewer is available, the modified package build can be
> released as non-approved one and users will still be able to use the
> package build.

This comes inherently with the user-submitted diff/patch in the comments,
as is currently the "approved" behaviour.

> I would like to know thoughts about this proposition.
>
> Regards,
> Amitav

Thanks,
David