[aur-general] pisg-fixed

brent s. bts at square-r00t.net
Mon Nov 20 15:06:13 UTC 2017

On 11/20/2017 09:56 AM, Eli Schwartz wrote:
> On 11/20/2017 09:41 AM, brent s. wrote:
>> "Merge requests are for when one package is replacing another one. Users
>> still have to resubmit a package under a new name and may request
>> merging of the old version's comments and votes. This has nothing to do
>> with 'git merge' and is not similar to github's merge requests."
>
> And you're missing the part where "why on earth would one package ever
> be replacing another one".
>
> To which there is a pretty simple answer: you generally don't, and you
> certainly don't try to engineer such a situation for the fun of it by
> perverting the meaning of a pkgname.
>
> This is meant for situations when for example upstream has renamed the
> software, and a new package with a new pkgname must be uploaded, but the
> comments and votes from the old name are still relevant.
>
> The wiki page did an excellent job IMHO in distinguishing between
> "merging the old version" which is okay, and "creating a new package to
> merge *into* the old one".
>
> Since merging only merges votes and comments, I cannot fathom in any
> way, shape, or form why you thought there was any functional utility in
> creating a new pkgbase, then deleting it and merging nonexistent votes
> and comments into the original pkgbase.

well, i beg your pardon if i made the assumption that TU and the entire
AUR structure was smart enough to understand a merge request of a
differently-owned package as an orphan request for a clearly fixed package.

i humbly beseech myself towards your graces and fall upon my sword for
expecting common sense of process.

i think this thread has run its course.

--
brent saner