[aur-general] TU Application: Andrew Crerar

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Tue Nov 21 01:18:54 UTC 2017

On 11/17/2017 07:22 AM, Andrew Crerar wrote:
> Hi Everyone!
>
> My name is Andrew Crerar (aka andrewSC) and I'm applying to become a
> Trusted User. Big thanks to Johannes Löthberg for being my sponsor!
> :)
>
> At the moment I'm a Research Software Engineer at The Laboratory for
> Analytic Sciences [1] where I primarily write Python 3.x (in
> combination with various other tech like nginx, gunicorn,
> elasticsearch, etc.) for the prototypes we're building here. Prior to
> working at the lab I was a Software Engineer and Computer Scientist
> at Adobe Inc. [2] where I lead and managed the development of Custom
> Creative Networks [3] (primarily PHP with some JS heavy elements) on
> the Behance [4] team. My Bachelor's degree is in Computer Science
> which I received from The Rochester Institute of Technology [5].
>
> I've been using Arch Linux since 2008-2009ish and have seen it grow
> into something incredible. Over the past several years I've picked up
> a handful of packages [6] in the AUR which I enjoy maintaining. I
> also participate in package signoffs for [core], [extra], and
> [community]. I wish to grow my ability to contribute by becoming more
> involved in maintaining and managing the AUR while also making
> contributions to [community] where appropriate.

Nice to see you applying, and good luck! :)

Some quick comments on your AUR packages, but they basically look fine.

git-git:
- consider adding the latest systemd service changes from [extra]/git
- Why does this depend on glib2-git
- why are libgnome-keyring and libsecret hard dependencies for people
  not using those helpers?
- Why go to all that extra effort to create a sysusers configuration
  when the benefit of using sysusers is removed by the need to set a
  login shell... which you do not add to /etc/shells? In the event that
  the sysusers configuration is ever made use of, the shell will still
  need to be fixed.

gtk4-git:
- url redirects to HTTPS version, this is really an [extra] issue

opencv-git:
- url redirects to HTTPS version, this is really an [extra] issue
- The repo package has hdf5 as a makedepends/optdepends, why is this a
  depends? More importantly... why is it also still an optdepends?

ttf-google-fonts-git:
- `install -dm755 ...; install -Dm644 ...;` is kind of like sprinkling
  your code with `sleep 1`
- Instead of copying licenses to a per-font subdirectory, I would use
  LICENSE.$fontname

vlc-git:
- Mercy on your soul for having the bravery to touch VLC, I'm skipping
  this one. :D Nothing jumps out at me anyway.

--
Eli Schwartz