[aur-general] Package review

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Oct 15 04:56:32 UTC 2017

On 10/13/2017 11:06 AM, Konstantin Gizdov wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Looking for a bit of help with two new python packages I uploaded to AUR.
> Packages in question are python-root_numpy & python-hep_ml.
>
> So I think I've done the PKGBUILDs correctly, but when I run namcap on the
> packages I get warnings about unneeded dependencies included and
> specifically for hep_ml I get warning about not including any ELF files but
> not labelling it as 'any' platform.

sed -i -e ... $(find -name '*.py') is terrible, see
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/ParsingLs for why, as well as the proper way
to do this.

Please do not add pointless `msg "now I'm doing this thing that was
obvious from context"` messages.

As for namcap warning about unneeded dependencies, namcap is a rough
hack and one of its big weaknesses is reliably determining what is
actually a needed dependency. It can only really detect shared library
dependencies, and assumes anything else, like for example python module
dependencies, are unneeded...

Take everything namcap says with a grain of salt, it can be useful to
point out potential trouble spots but is hardly authoritative.

> My issue is that I have included only dependencies that are listed by the
> package developers, but I still have namcap complaining. Also, I thought we
> weren't not supposed to label packages as 'any'. Or am I wrong?

If this were true, then why does "any" exist?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD#arch

--
Eli Schwartz