[aur-general] Package review

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Oct 16 14:46:48 UTC 2017

On 10/16/2017 05:50 AM, Konstantin Gizdov wrote:
> Hi Eli and Lex,
>
>> sed -i -e ... $(find -name '*.py') is terrible, see
>> http://mywiki.wooledge.org/ParsingLs for why, as well as the proper way
>> to do this.
>> Please do not add pointless `msg "now I'm doing this thing that was
>> obvious from context"` messages.
> It's interesting that you point these things out as I took the template
> from the official repos for python-scikit-learn. Both the `sed` and `msg`
> lines are from there. I will change/remove them as per your suggestions.

You've learned an interesting truth. :D

Packages in the official repos can do some pretty gross and silly
things. Just because someone is a TU doesn't necessarily mean they
follow best-practice bash style.

You'll also see a fair number of packages which do not quote $srcdir or
$pkgdir, which can generally be gotten away with simply because repo
packages are built using makechrootpkg which uses the /build directory
in a chroot. It still doesn't mean it is "okay" to use unquoted $srcdir
and $pkgdir in a PKGBUILD...

> Thanks for clarifying `namcap` to me. One follow up question - in my `root`
> package namcap seems to be able to detect shell bangs in scripts
> ('#!/bin/csh' for example) and asks me to include csh/tcsh as dependency.
> At least I assumed that and only included it as optional dep. Does that
> mean instead, I actually have a binary dependency on CSH?

Could be namcap can also detect shebangs as well, which is better than I
thought to be honest. It is obviously a hard dependency for using those
scripts, so if those scripts are optional then list an optdepends,
otherwise list a depends.

> As for the `any` I assumed it was deprecated after the x64 switch and the
> wiki was just not updated. I will label it correctly.

... okay. Just to be clear, PKGBUILDs and makepkg have rules and
definitions which are independent of which arches are supported by
archlinux.org at the time the PKGBUILD is first written.

Keep in mind that pacman is developed *by* Arch Linux, but it is not
exclusive to Arch Linux. There are several derivative distros which use
pacman, some of which also make use of the AUR, and this includes both
Arch Linux ARM and https://www.archlinux32.org (which will continue
32-bit support after the official deprecation). You can also use pacman
as one of many optional package management schemes with Linux From Scratch.

--
Eli Schwartz