[aur-general] TU Application: David Runge

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Oct 24 09:26:17 UTC 2017

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 10:01:56 +0200, Levente Polyak wrote:
>You take the wrong conclusions. Im not saying he may not be suitable
>to do the job but I'm saying there is a difference between a random
>AUR packager and one that packages for our repositories. The path in
>getting the tiny differences in experience and best packaging
>practices should be led by the sponsor by discussing packages he/she
>maintains. This way the sponsor can aid and lead an applicant to get
>some possibly missing. pieces straight. It's cool we have someone for
>an area that not many cover, but that doesn't free him/her from proper
>packaging and getting to know the bits that make up a good packager.
>Especially here would a good guidance be sane and the very minimum a
>sponsor can do to bring in his/her applicant. In short: Being someone
>rare doesn't free up following best practices, that's the difference
>between a random dude and a good TU and the sponsor must help him
>achieving this.

My apologies, since I agree with your point of view, OTOH Ray is the
one who has got all the needed skills. Actually he just needs somebody
to assist him maintaining packages. I'm often using packages from
jhernberg and schivmeister/Ray and edit them to build more recent
packages, so the packages much likely wont become too disgusting. David
has not to do much more, especially if we should have an Arch audio
mailing list again and all Arch audio user, including myself, are
willing to help, if David _should_ run into an issue.

I understand your concerns against Ray's "freakish" sponsorship,
anyway, consider to vote for David, because Arch audio has got no other
opportunity and Ray's sponsorship is based upon a good impression of
David's help, he already provided.