[aur-general] TU Application: David Runge

Levente Polyak anthraxx at archlinux.org
Tue Oct 24 08:01:56 UTC 2017

On October 24, 2017 8:13:33 AM GMT+02:00, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 07:50:01 +0200, Levente Polyak wrote:
>>On October 18, 2017 2:40:55 PM GMT+02:00, Rashif Ray Rahman wrote:
>>>I confirm my sponsorship. I have to be honest that I have not checked
>>>David's PKGBUILDs thoroughly, but he has been in contact with me with
>>>contributions.
>>>

>>At this point my feedback goes to the sponsor instead of the
>applicant:
>>
>>Sorry, but I must say that I really dislike sponsoring a TU applicant
>>without looking at any PKGBUILD and give some advice. In my world this
>>is part of the sponsorship and one of the jobs of a "TU mentor". I
>>understand that you could certainly make some judgment based on the
>>contributions you mentioned, but still.
>>
>>I hope this will not become a trend, otherwise we could also just get
>>rid of the whole sponsorship (which we shouldn't).
>
>Please take into account that pro-audio package maintainers should be
>those, who also use the packages for audio work on at least
>a nearly professional quality level, IOW they need to have
>skills that are at least close to a professional audio engineering
>niveau.
>
>Obviously not many users have very good audio engineering skills +
>Linux
>skills + Arch packaging skills + time to maintain packages, so you
>should lower your sights for such a nice domain.

You take the wrong conclusions. Im not saying he may not be suitable to do the job but I'm saying there is a difference between a random AUR packager and one that packages for our repositories. The path in getting the tiny differences in experience and best packaging practices should be led by the sponsor by discussing packages he/she maintains. This way the sponsor can aid and lead an applicant to get some possibly missing. pieces straight.
It's cool we have someone for an area that not many cover, but that doesn't free him/her from proper packaging and getting to know the bits that make up a good packager. Especially here would a good guidance be sane and the very minimum a sponsor can do to bring in his/her applicant.
In short: Being someone rare doesn't free up following best practices, that's the difference between a random dude and a good TU and the sponsor must help him achieving this.