[aur-general] [PRQ#11055] Deletion Request for dnscrypt-proxy-go | [PRQ#11056] Deletion Request for dnscrypt-proxy-go-git

Jordan Glover Golden_Miller83 at protonmail.ch
Thu Apr 5 12:19:40 UTC 2018

On April 5, 2018 12:50 AM, David Runge <dave at sleepmap.de> wrote:

> While being in line with what Doug wrote on the topic, I agree, that it
>
> took quite some time to upgrade, but behold! dnscrypt-proxy 2.0.8 is now
>
> in community-testing (btw: no, not just c/p) [1].
>
> I do understand that a longer wait time can be frustrating for users,
>
> but it's no reason to get aggressive about it.

I wasn't complaining about outdated package or maintainer activity. In fact
AUR alternative provided pretty smooth transition period for many users.

> The upstream situation was far from "easy going" IMHO, which was all the
>
> more reason to wait and see what would happen.
>
> A few (unpaid) hands are trying to keep up the shape of what Arch is. I
>
> have the feeling, that sometimes it is easily forgotten, that we are a
>
> community of like-minded (and from what I read, passionate) people. If
>
> you find a problem, go ahead and fix it (e.g. by applying to become a
>
> TU and engaging in the overall quality of the distribution), but please
>
> keep in mind, that we're all doing this in our free time.

It's even easier to forgot that Arch users community is unpaid and
passionate as well and throw their work out of the window just because
you can. Did AUR maintainer benefited from uploading his package there?
Not at all. They could use it locally  just fine and don't care if anyone else
need it to.

I spend an absurd amount of time for submitting bugs and enchantments
to Arch packages, helping others, resolving Arch related issues with
upstream and was the last person who benefited from it. Many Arch users
voluntarily do the same things. And they don't have to have some
meaningless title to feel special about it even when their work is treated
as annoying disturbance because lack of it.

​Jordan