[aur-general] [PRQ#11055] Deletion Request for dnscrypt-proxy-go | [PRQ#11056] Deletion Request for dnscrypt-proxy-go-git

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Thu Apr 5 16:46:39 UTC 2018

On 04/05/2018 08:19 AM, Jordan Glover via aur-general wrote:
> It's even easier to forgot that Arch users community is unpaid and
> passionate as well and throw their work out of the window just because
> you can. Did AUR maintainer benefited from uploading his package there?
> Not at all. They could use it locally  just fine and don't care if anyone else
> need it to.
>
> I spend an absurd amount of time for submitting bugs and enchantments
> to Arch packages, helping others, resolving Arch related issues with
> upstream and was the last person who benefited from it. Many Arch users
> voluntarily do the same things. And they don't have to have some
> meaningless title to feel special about it even when their work is treated
> as annoying disturbance because lack of it.

Lo and behold, that package was *not deleted* until it had a viable
replacement in community-testing. What, exactly, are you complaining about?

The git version was very clearly a duplicate of the other AUR package
which is under community user control. The maintainer needs to fix it
properly (we'd be happy to orphan it if that is what it takes).

Many Arch users seem to forget, that uploading something to the AUR does
more harm than good if it means nobody can figure out which of six
different packages they are supposed to use. *This* is the reason
duplicates are not allowed, not some arcane desire to "throw their work
out of the window just because you can" or how good it presumably feels
to publicly use "some meaningless title to feel special".

Did you have some reason to post, other than to see how far you can go
insulting the Trusted Users by accusing us of being petty people who
delight in deleting the work of others for the sheer delight of causing
other people mental anguish?

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User