[aur-general] TU Application - Chih-Hsuan Yen

Chih-Hsuan Yen yan12125 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 13:10:05 UTC 2018

Hi all,

My name is Chih-Hsuan Yen. I'm also known as yan12125.

I am applying to be a Trusted User with Felix Yan's sponsorship.

I'm currently a PhD student in Taiwan. My Linux journey started when I
met Ubuntu in 2011. Soon after that, I jumped to Arch Linux in 2012 for
its simplicity. During my spare time, I'm active in open source stuffs.
You may find some interesting bits on my GitHub [1] and GitLab [2] accounts.

Most of my Arch contributions can be found on AUR [3]. Besides that, I'm
also an Arch Linux tester and a member of Arch Linux China community,
keeping some binary packages in the unofficial repo [archlinuxcn]
up-to-date [4].

If I'm accepted as a TU, I'd like to improve the ecosystem for Arch
users speaking Chinese. Specifically, I'll keep an eye on Chinese IME
(Input Method Engine) and font packages, including but not limited to
the following ones:

- libchewing - the core library for a Chinese input method "Chewing"
- scim-chewing - the SCIM adaptor for the chewing input method
- ttf-arphic-ukai - a popular font in Taiwan
- ttf-arphic-uming - another popular font in Taiwan

Both libchewing and scim-chewing are in [extra] now. As they have no
other reverse dependencies in [extra], I assume it's possible to move
them to [community] for further maintenance.

Also, as a Python developer, I'm interesting in making Python packages
in Arch Linux even better. I'd like to bring the following packages to
[community]:

- buildbot - the main program of a continuous integration framework [5]
- buildbot-worker - running commands dispatched by the master
-
python-buildbot-{www,console-view,grid-view,waterfall-view,wsgi-dashboards,badges}
- buildbot plugins
- python-buildbot-pkg - an auxiliary package for building buildbot
plugins from sources. I'll create a stable version from my
buildbot-pkg-git package.
-
python-{aws-xray-sdk,jsondiff,klein,moto,nose-random,pathlib2,pyjade,setuptools-trial,txrequests}
- direct or indirect runtime/build-time/check-time dependencies for
buildbot-related packages

I'd like to improve dependency handling for Python packages in Namcap as
well.

Furthermore, I'm interested in move some other useful packages to
[community]. Here are some packages coming out of my head:

- pcmanx-gtk2 - A popular BBS/Telnet client in Taiwan (29 votes on AUR)
- qps - the GUI process monitor recommended by LXQt (2% on pkgstats)
- cmst - a Qt frontend for connman recommended by LXQt (49 votes on AUR)

I'd like to stop here. Thanks for reading such a long mail. I'm
passionately looking forward an oppurtunity to extend my Arch
contributions to a new scope!

Regards,

Chih-Hsuan Yen

[1] https://github.com/yan12125