[aur-general] Help with python-magic-wormhole PKGBUILD

Bert Peters bert at bertptrs.nl
Mon Dec 10 15:42:16 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-12-10 at 10:24 -0500, Storm Dragon via aur-general wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I have had a few people post that they are having trouble with this
> since it became a split package. Currently, I am unable to reproduce
> the problems. I have installed it both with yay and with makepkg.  I
> do see one who tried to install it as a group, and since both provide
> the same package, that would conflict, but they should be able to
> install either python2-magic-wormhole or python-magic-wormhole.
>
> I Can't find anything wrong with the PKGBUILD. Can someone please
> take a look and let me know if there's anything I can do to make it
> work better for these people who are having problems?
>
> https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/magic-wormhole/
>
> Thanks,
> Storm

I can confirm that pikaur does not properly handle the package. The
problem appears to be that the PKGBUILD requires both the python- and
python2-versions of dependencies, but both of the splits then define
their own depends.

Pikaur then installs only the depends for the version that I specify (I
tried python 3 first) and ignores the python 2 versions. Then when
"makepkg -s" is called, it complains that the python2 versions of the
AUR packages cannot be found. (repo packages are fine, of course)

I don't know if this is a bug, but you can probably work around this by
moving all those dependencies to the makedepends if you need them
during the build or remove them altogether otherwise. For me, the
latter option works.

Best,

Bert.