[aur-general] TU application: Daurnimator

Brad Fanella cesura at archlinux.org
Thu Dec 20 16:05:21 UTC 2018

On 12/17/18 1:23 AM, Bartłomiej Piotrowski via aur-general wrote:
> And I stand by my opinion. It's ridiculous to think that one person,
> even if member of GitHub organization (which may or may not mean
> anything), can single-handedly affect decision of either project. It's
> difficult even here at Arch, and we are one of smaller teams.

While I agree that this is a completely valid opinion regarding large
packaging jobs like GNOME and so forth, Lua and Lua libs are hardly
that. Not to discount the Lua developers that exist within the Arch
community, but it's unlikely that a decision to change such packages
would impact nearly as many people as some of our other package sets,
nor should it require as large of a consensus among the developers/TUs
to make such changes. Upstream input into the packaging process *is*
useful, provided it doesn't suggest throwing all semblance of
standardization out the window.

What this means for the application, I'm not sure. If this is (as a few
others have mentioned) an attempt to join the team as a means to gain
political sway upstream, then I think we can all agree that the answer
here is pretty straightforward. If we step back and give the applicant
the benefit of the doubt however, then all I see is a well-informed and
well-intentioned Lua user who could do great things for our package
ecosystem—not acting as a lone wolf, but as a member of a greater team.

Brad