[aur-general] AUR rate limiting

hagar hagar at iinet.net.au
Fri Dec 21 08:41:28 UTC 2018

On 21/12/18 5:21 am, Florian Pritz via aur-general wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 11:02:31PM +0200, Jerome Leclanche <jerome at leclan.ch> wrote:
>> That should probably be fixed as well, but I agree with making the rate
>> limit window 1 hour, at most. A 24 hour API restriction on the AUR API is
>> really nasty imo.
> So is running cower -u in conky every 5 seconds and not even knowing
> that this may send 50 requests per seconds on average because you have
> so many packages installed. The limit is there to show people that there
> is something wrong with their API usage and if the window is too small
> they'll never notice.
>
> We have resolved this particular issue for now though via a temporary
> reset of the limit. For the future I think the way to go is to implement
> configurable limits for certain subnets so that we can raise them to a
> suitable value. If someone wants to write a patch for this that would be
> very welcome.
>
> My initial idea is that a simple db table with the limits for each
> subnet should be enough I think. We don't (yet) need a webui for
> maintaining it. The tricky part is probably figuring out which limit
> shall apply to which IP. Since the AUR supports mysql and sqlite, any
> code has to work with both.
>
> If anyone wants to implement this, feel free to talk to me via mail or
> on IRC.
>
> Florian

Is there anything wrong with creating a pertner file to the packages
file that has the pkgname, provides, description and git address in it.

Then encourage it to be downloaded - say at an interval of 12 hours,
then use this file to search and encourage the use of the git address
rather than a direct download of the pkgbuild.

They can then cache these pkgbuilds directories in a build tree.

The aur helper packages should then be encouraged to use this method and
thus take the load off the system.

Macca