[aur-general] aur-out-of-date: determine out-of-date AUR packages w.r.t. upstream

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Thu Feb 1 16:44:44 UTC 2018

On 02/01/2018 11:08 AM, Simon Legner via aur-general wrote:
> Hi aur-general,
>
> as a maintainer of fifty-something AUR packages I found it difficult
> to keep track of new upstream versions. I would subscribe to various
> RSS feeds to keep track of some.
>
> Recently, I sat down and wrote a tool "aur-out-of-date" which, given a
> username or a list of packages, checks upstream for newer versions. It
> does so by inspecting the upstream URL and/or source URL, and calling
> a suitable API (github.com, registry.npmjs.org, pypi.python.org,
> cpan.org for now) to determine the latest released version.
> Out-of-date packages are output in red color on the command line.
>
> Give it a try:
> https://github.com/simon04/aur-out-of-date
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/aur-out-of-date/
>
> I'm happy to hear you feedback :)
> Simon

This looks quite cool!

2 slight questions:

1) How does this handle PKGBUILDs that, say, have their homepage on
github, but do not tag releases there -- because :( :( :( -- and instead
push releases to PyPI or npmjs or something?

2) It looks like your AUR package is downloading a source tarball, then
completely ignoring it by using go get and downloading the bleeding-edge
master. I'm not really sure how this crazy language handles packaging :p
but I think *maybe* you should be cloning
git+https://github.com/simon04/$pkgname.git#tag=v$pkgver and symlinking
"$srcdir/$pkgname" --> "$srcdir/src/github.com/simon04/aur-out-of-date/"

You should also probably add github.com/mikkeloscar/gopkgbuild/ and
github.com/mikkeloscar/aur to your sources.

I've also heard that https://github.com/golang/dep is meant to somehow
solve all this.

--
Eli Schwartz