[aur-general] aur-out-of-date: determine out-of-date AUR packages w.r.t. upstream

Michael Kogan michael.kogan at gmx.net
Thu Feb 1 19:56:20 UTC 2018

Unfortunately, I don't know Go and in general have too little programming
skills and experience to propose any code modifications. But I have an
idea: What about introducing some variables which the package maintainers
would put into their PKGBUILD and which are then parsed by aur-out-of-date?
The variables might be commented out in order to not interfere with
whatever happens when makepkg is run. Something like

# aur-out-of-date-check-url =
https://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/files/7-Zip/

for the above example. There could be sane defaults defined for such
problematic hosters and only if they fail the user-defined values put into
the PKGBUILD by its maintainer would be used. Also this would require some
documentation to tell the maintainers which variables are necessary and how
to give them the desired values.

Just an idea, I don't know if it makes much sense.