[aur-general] Please remove gsmartcontrol-svn package from AUR

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Wed Feb 14 14:29:29 UTC 2018

On 02/14/2018 09:09 AM, Alad Wenter via aur-general wrote:
>> Doug Newgard via aur-general <aur-general at archlinux.org> hat am 14.
>> Februar 2018 um 14:33 geschrieben:
>>
>> Getting feedback on the code doesn't have much do to with the
>> existence of this package. Two totally different issues.
> Well, upstream disagrees. To quote his email again,
>
> "Could you please remove this package? I keep getting bug reports for
> it, but the thing is, the SVN version is not intended for public
> consumption at all."

That seems like a problem which is solved by upstream providing
instructions on the bug reporting page, that bugs should only ever be
reported for stable releases and not for the development code.

Taking the package down from the AUR will not solve the root of his
problem, even if it does hide the worst offender.

And I'm unconvinced that we should punish people who just want to use
the latest code in blissful peace.

So, I guess the question is, what does "not intended for public
consumption at all" actually mean?

- If it means "the code is unstable and probably broken, so it is a bad
  idea to use it and I won't support you in doing so", then the package
  should be deleted for reasons that have nothing to do with the
  developer's request.
- If it means "I don't like to be bothered by bugreports because I
  consider nothing to be official unless I make a stable release, and I
  would rather discover the issue myself", then there is no reason to
  stop people from running perfectly good development software that has
  been publicly published. And the developer should just tell people his
  preferences on the support page where he leaves his email-based bug
  reporting instructions.

Aside: ewwwwwww email-based bugtracker. He probably gets a fair number
of duplicate bug reports for the versions he *does* want people to
report bugs for, because intelligent and capable users still have no way
of determining if a bug was already reported. If he wants less
distracting bug mail, he is going about it entirely the wrong way...

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User