[aur-general] Please remove gsmartcontrol-svn package from AUR

Alad Wenter alad at mailbox.org
Wed Feb 14 15:19:21 UTC 2018

> Simon Doppler <dopsi at dopsi.ch> hat am 14. Februar 2018 um 15:46 geschrieben:
>

> On Wednesday, 14 February 2018 15:29:29 CET Eli Schwartz via aur-general
> wrote:
> > > "Could you please remove this package? I keep getting bug reports for
> > > it, but the thing is, the SVN version is not intended for public
> > > consumption at all."
> > [...]
> > - If it means "I don't like to be bothered by bugreports because I
> >   consider nothing to be official unless I make a stable release, and I
> >   would rather discover the issue myself", then there is no reason to
> >   stop people from running perfectly good development software that has
> >   been publicly published. And the developer should just tell people his
> >   preferences on the support page where he leaves his email-based bug
> >   reporting instructions.
>
> In this case, he should not publish the development code anyway, since nothing
> will stop users from submitting bug reports for development code (whether it
> is mail based bug reporting, mailing list based, using Git{hub,lab,*}-style
> issues or an actual bugtracker).

It's disappointing how everyone shifts the blame towards and ridicules upstream, rather than respect their wishes regarding the _packaging of their own code_. Those are practices that remind of certain other distributions. But whatever - I shall not further argue about it.

John: Please include a post_install/post_upgrade message in your package that warns users on _not_ to complain to upstream in case of errors.

Alad