[aur-general] Attempting to update upwork-beta, and hit a head-scratcher

Shane Simmons regeya at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 19:19:49 UTC 2018

If anyone cares to review the comments, yes, I posted on the git repo, but
only because of the admonishment that AUR isn't the place to post bugs on
aurman.  Or, you could review the comments if they weren't deleted.  Part
of mine were a plea to just leave the thread up for people who were
similarly confused.  Request denied, account locked, and a blanket message
that peoples' accounts were being suspended for spam.

Had you simply posted a simple "make sure to install expac-git before
upgrading or aurman will complain about broken dependencies" would have
avoided having anyone post comments.   Had expac-git actually been broken
instead of me just not understanding that PKGVER doesn't get updated in a
PKGBUILD ;-) relying on a nonexistent package would be a bug, no? ;-)  Your
response to that was to first post the output of pacman -Qi, then to hurl
an insult about how users are turing-complete and I should act like I am.
(I'm paraphrasing here because, quite frankly, I can't refer to the deleted
comments.)  It's not nearly as obvious as you seem to think it is (I
generally avoid anything that has -git dependencies), and a simple google
search shows that you need guidance sometimes, too.  Treat others the way
you want to be treated, imho.

As for the reason I posted to git, well,

"This is not the right place for reporting aurman bugs or request features,
please use https://github.com/polygamma/aurman/issues

If you do not want to register on GitHub for such things, I do not care
from now on.

I am not going to respond to comments on this page, if they have nothing to
do with the PKGBUILD.

tl;dr: Bugs and feature requests -> GitHub, PKGBUILD problems -> here, not
going to answer comments if they have nothing to do with the PKGBUILD from
now on"

Anyway, my solution was pretty simple: just stop using aurman.  If I'm
going to lose access to AUR because my post is deemed Not A Problem, then I
can't trust the software.  I didn't go around to various forums posting
about how people shouldn't use it; it's a popular AUR helper for a very
good reason.  I fully expect my account will be suspended shortly after I
hit Send, and I guess that's fine.  I'm not married to Arch, either, which
I'll have to stop using because I won't just make packages for myself to
keep using Upwork.     But just...settle down.    Not every non-positive
comment is a personal attack on you.