[aur-general] Attempting to update upwork-beta, and hit a head-scratcher

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Jul 16 20:52:55 UTC 2018

On 07/16/2018 03:52 PM, Shane Simmons via aur-general wrote:
> Running into the error and not knowing the solution on my own
> and not being willing to hunt down the problem but rather posting to
> aur.archlinux.org in hopes of some guidance from fellow users was surely my
> sign that I wasn't smart enough to use an AUR helper, and probably that
> after years of using Arch, that I probably shouldn't even be using Arch.
>
> Message received.

I am always happy to give people guidance. I give people tips and
reviews for PKGBUILDs they submit to aur-general, I discuss most things
people are interested in talking about on the #archlinux-aur IRC support
channel, I've given a class called "The Beginner's Guide to Arch Linux
Package Management" which was strictly targeted at absolute beginners, etc.

You were not asking for guidance. Every single word you wrote, was a
command to the developer that they were wrong.

That is not how one asks for guidance.

> I mean...I understand where you're coming from, but "users should be
> turing-complete" is part of why I chose to not use aurman.   That's not a
> ding on them or their work, because it's an awesome package manager, but
> they take aggro behavior toward users to an extreme.

A turing-complete user is, roughly speaking, one who when faced with a
problem preventing them from doing something they want to do, makes an
effort to try to understand what happened and how to make it work.

The converse would be someone who simply complains that it doesn't work,
then, after being told it does work, complains another five times that
it still doesn't work because they didn't understand the explanation so
obviously it clearly doesn't work.

A user who is working on their turing-completeness would complain once,
but then after being corrected, says "oh I didn't think of that.
Actually, I'm not 100% clear on what you said, can you explain to me how
that works?"

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User