[aur-general] TU Membership Application

Ivy Foster iff at escondida.tk
Thu Nov 8 01:54:44 UTC 2018

On 07 Nov 2018, at  5:41 pm -0700, Brett Cornwall via aur-general wrote:
> On 11/05/18 07:48pm, Levente Polyak via aur-general wrote:
> > - don't think pkgdesc should ever end with a dot

> The descriptions are often sentences, so would it not reason to end them
> with a period?

In the case of actual sentences, it's just convention to be consistent
with the packages whose descriptions are sentence fragments. It's a
bit arbitrary, granted.

> > - not a big fan of fiddling with PKGEXT even if its "just the AUR" but
> > well
>
> For a package destined for the repositories I would not fiddle and endeavor
> to reverse such fiddling; however, the compression time for large games is
> enormous only to decompress right after. Should it, for the sake of
> correct-ness, be reversed even for the packages doomed forever to live in
> the AUR?

It's just not the prerogative of the AUR contributor to make that
decision for the end-user who's going to be building the package. They
can very easily configure their own makepkg.conf to use uncompressed
tarballs if they so desire. Basically, a PKGBUILD shouldn't override
makepkg.conf unless there's a very good reason.

Cheers,
Ivy