[aur-general] How do I show a AUR Rebuild as a newer build?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Oct 20 01:42:55 UTC 2018

On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 08:59:06 +0800, hagar wrote:
>If I need to rebuild a package due to dependancy rebuilds/changes how
>do I mark the new package as newer?
>

>Do I increase the epoch?

No.

From 'man PKGBUILD':

"This is useful when the version numbering scheme of a package changes
(or is alphanumeric), breaking normal version comparison logic."

>Or is there another way?

That is what the pkgrel is for.

However, AUR provides PKGBUILDs, not packages, so a maintainer doesn't
bump the pkgrel each time a PKGBUILD gets edited, but a maintainer
might care about the need to build against newer releases of
dependencies and increase the pkgrel or the maintainer might ignore it.
What ever changed, I bump the pkgrel for my local builds for each
package, but that way the pkgrels of my local packages could get out of
sync with the pkgrels of some AUR PKGBUILDs. If you dislike this,
simply build a new package with the same pkgver-pkgrel or the same
epoch:pkgver-pkgrel, if there already should be an epoch.