[aur-general] How do I show a AUR Rebuild as a newer build?

Filipe Laíns lains at archlinux.org
Sat Oct 20 11:27:44 UTC 2018

Hey,

On Sat, 2018-10-20 at 08:59 +0800, hagar wrote:
> Good morning All,
>
> I understand that there are 3 version control tags in the PKGBUILD
> file.
>

> pkgver - The Actual Package version

Yes. This is the main control version.

> pkgrel - The Arch modification/release count - for changes to the
> patches, install file's.

This is an extra control version. 1.5.0-2 will be marked as a newer
version over 1.5.0-1 and will show up in the updates. That's what you
should be bumping if you need to rebuild the package. It will provide a
the same version but in a new iteration/build of the package.

> epoch - Special version control number.

This is only used if you need to do rollbacks.

Here's the version hierarchy:
epoch > pkgver > pkgrel

The version 2:1.4.0 will be higher in the hierarchy than 1:1.5.0, so
pacman will remove 1:1.5.0 and install 2:1.4.0 on system updates.

> If I need to rebuild a package due to dependancy rebuilds/changes how
> do
> I mark the new package as newer?

Bump the pkgrel.

> Do I increase the epoch?

No. You never touch the epoch unless you need to rollback a package.

> Or is there another way?

No.

Thanks,
Filipe Laíns
3DCE 51D6 0930 EBA4 7858 BA41 46F6 33CB B0EB 4BF2