[aur-general] Fwd: Re: How do I show a AUR Rebuild as a newer build?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Oct 22 11:30:01 UTC 2018

On 10/22/18 7:19 AM, mar77i via aur-general wrote:
> I must be misreading this, because I don't see why you shouldn't use
> the exact same pkgver/pkgrel as the original package? If you want to
> port the modified package to the subsequent pkgrel or pkgver, you can
> always put the package on hold or figure out another way to be aware
> of . I think what we should be thinking about is to actually make it
> easier to serve this need in pacman itself somehow, if there isn't
> already a practicable way. There seems to be a way to list packages
> to upgrade before -Syu, IIRC.
>
> If you added an obvious modification to your package or something
> similar, the dumb (admittedly maybe, not always easily debugged) way
> to notice that you overwrote a local modification is when it's
> gone...

The point here is when you're not making modifications, but simply
rebuilding it, because libfoo.so had a soname bump. Without bumping the
pkgrel, pacman does not see this as an upgrade, and this has
ramifications for e.g. aurutils workflows.

If you do bump the pkgrel, you run the risk of not being able to compare
the version to the version returned by the AUR RPC interface, and not
noticing when it's time to pull a new, remote modification.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User