[aur-general] Fwd: Re: How do I show a AUR Rebuild as a newer build?

mar77i at protonmail.ch mar77i at protonmail.ch
Mon Oct 22 11:19:57 UTC 2018

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Monday, October 22, 2018 11:47 AM, Tinu Weber <takeya at bluewin.ch> wrote:
> More generally, however, what would be the best approach to applying
> downstream/user-specific changes without breaking the versioning? The
> ones I know all have some issue:

I must be misreading this, because I don't see why you shouldn't use the exact same pkgver/pkgrel as the original package? If you want to port the modified package to the subsequent pkgrel or pkgver, you can always put the package on hold or figure out another way to be aware of . I think what we should be thinking about is to actually make it easier to serve this need in pacman itself somehow, if there isn't already a practicable way. There seems to be a way to list packages to upgrade before -Syu, IIRC.

If you added an obvious modification to your package or something similar, the dumb (admittedly maybe, not always easily debugged) way to notice that you overwrote a local modification is when it's gone...

cheers!
mar77i