[aur-general] Fwd: Re: How do I show a AUR Rebuild as a newer build?

LoneVVolf lonewolf at xs4all.nl
Mon Oct 22 22:48:40 UTC 2018

On 22/10/2018 16.29, Eli Schwartz via aur-general wrote:
> On 10/22/18 7:52 AM, LoneVVolf wrote:
>> I think this can be solved by clarifying what upstream is.
>>

>> example :
>> archlinux foo package has foo.org as upstream
>> archlinux32 uses archlinux foo package as base , upstream = archlinux
>> manjaro32 uses archlinux32 package as base , upstream = archlinux32
>>
>> say foo is at version 8.2.5
>> archlinux has 8.2.5-2
>> archlinux32 then uses 8.2.5.arch.2 as pkgver and adds 3 as their pkgrel
>> manjaro32 uses 8.2.5.2.arch.2.arch32.3 as pkgver and their own pkgrel.
>>
>> This shows the chain between downstream and all upstreams .
>
> 1) This relays untrue information to the person reading the pkgver.
disagree

> 2) This requires rewriting the whole PKGBUILD to use secondary proxy
>     variables everywhere that $pkgver is currently being used, like most
>     paths and the source array.
simply solved : introduce one new var, _realver and use that instead of
pkgver

> 3) It made me throw up when I read that.

If you have stomach problems go see a doctor.
If this is supposed to be some kind of metaphor, it failed to convey
it's meaning.

> 4) https://www.parabola.nu/ has forked the pacman package to add pkgrel
>     distro-specific support for 2.1.parabola1 style pkg *rel*, because
>     they consider this sort of sharp deviation from upstream makepkg to
>     be superior to messing with the pkgver.

The ability to fork is one of the strong points of Open Source Software.

--------------------

Mr Schwartz, your replies to my posts in this and earlier threads
indicate you very often misunderstand me.
I have often not responded to replies from you on posts by me because it
is/was very hard to not become hostile towards you in those replies.

To all :
In the 2 posts (including this one) I've made in this thread I have only
made suggestions. I have not once stated whether they are smart / dumb,
good/bad or have any other value .
I expect readers to be able to use their own judgment for that.

In order to improve the chances this thread will be useful, I will not
post in it anymore.

Lone_Wolf