[aur-general] Fwd: Re: How do I show a AUR Rebuild as a newer build?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Oct 22 14:29:07 UTC 2018

On 10/22/18 7:52 AM, LoneVVolf wrote:
> I think this can be solved by clarifying what upstream is.
>

> example :
> archlinux foo package has foo.org as upstream
> archlinux32 uses archlinux foo package as base , upstream = archlinux
> manjaro32 uses archlinux32 package as base , upstream = archlinux32
>
> say foo is at version 8.2.5
> archlinux has 8.2.5-2
> archlinux32 then uses 8.2.5.arch.2 as pkgver and adds 3 as their pkgrel
> manjaro32 uses 8.2.5.2.arch.2.arch32.3 as pkgver and their own pkgrel.
>
> This shows the chain between downstream and all upstreams .

1) This relays untrue information to the person reading the pkgver.

2) This requires rewriting the whole PKGBUILD to use secondary proxy
   variables everywhere that $pkgver is currently being used, like most
   paths and the source array.

3) It made me throw up when I read that.

4) https://www.parabola.nu/ has forked the pacman package to add pkgrel
   distro-specific support for 2.1.parabola1 style pkg *rel*, because
   they consider this sort of sharp deviation from upstream makepkg to
   be superior to messing with the pkgver.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User