[aur-general] TU application: Maxim Baz

Robin Broda arch-ml at coderobe.net
Mon Oct 29 18:13:51 UTC 2018

On 10/29/18 1:16 PM, Maxim Baz via aur-general wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> My name is Maxim Baz, and with Morten Linderud (Foxboron) as my sponsor
> (who I was referred to by Alad Wenter) I'm applying to become a Trusted User.

Great that you're applying!

> Also, as a TU I want to help finishing TODO "BUILDINFO rebuild" [4]
> if it's not completed earlier.

Sadly, or thankfully - depending on how you look at it ;) - the BUILDINFO
rebuild is pretty much outside of our control as TUs, as almost all
remaining packages are outside of [community].
All except for cinnamon-desktop and cjs, that is. *nudge @eschwartz*

> - wire-desktop (76): End-to-end encrypted messaging app that works on Windows,
> Linux, Mac, Android and iPhone. It is free, open-source and available
> on Github. Although I'm co-maintaining this package on AUR, I was mostly
> focused on contributing to the project itself: I added proper emoji support
> (following the latest Unicode standard), emoji autocomplete and improved
> native notifications on Linux (show user pictures, set urgency hint).

Another Electron app? oof...
That one would have to be devendored first, anyways -
right now it is using a bundled Electron :(

> - browserpass (31): Browser extension for pass (unix password manager),
> works in Chromium and Firefox. I became the primary project maintainer about
> a year ago, and together with another maintainer recently started rewriting
> it to make the architecture accommodate users' needs. I'm planning to bring
> this to [community] after the new version is ready (we are aiming to release
> in December). Also, someone in comments on AUR gave me a cool idea to use
> split-packages for Chromium and Firefox browsers, I'm going to do this as
> well (current PKGBUILD installs browserpass for both browsers, even if these
> browsers are not installed).

Nice!

> - gocryptfs (18): Encrypted overlay filesystem, an alternative for encfs.

Just curious - how does this differ to ecryptfs?

> For all of the above, I'm being active on their Github pages and monitoring
> new releases using urlwatch.

Release monitoring is a big plus. nice!

Good luck :P

--