[aur-general] About bullying in our community (Was: TU Application)

Brett Cornwall brett at i--b.com
Wed Oct 31 00:07:10 UTC 2018

On 10/30/18 02:51pm, Ethan Rakoff wrote:
>Remember that as technical people working on a project that spans the
>world, we communicate almost exclusively through text, and it can be
>easy to misinterpret the tone of someone else. We should all make an
>effort to remember this in writing and in reading.
>
>Never attribute to malice that which can be attributed to ignorance or misunderstanding.

This went beyond a simple misunderstanding in medium. It's dripping with
anger!

I understand - and actually prefer - truth and correctness when
soliciting help from others. Blunt is fine: It's quick and to-the-point.
I am not fond of overly-inclusive communities that effectively censor
criticism because it might hurt feelings.

However...

I spent so long formally submitting my application after the initial
mix-up because I wasn't sure I wanted to get reamed in a similar manner
- "Does everyone react this way?", I thought. I had urges to speak out
but I was afraid that this was just 'how it is'. When things went off
the rails I considered withdrawing.

Perhaps I won't make TU status but it might be of value to this
community to know that this made an applicant think twice about joining.

I do appreciate Eli apologizing on the other thread. I can relate to the
anger stemming from caring too much - I sometimes have to walk away from
my keyboard for the same reason.