[aur-general] About bullying in our community

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Wed Oct 31 10:56:44 UTC 2018

Em outubro 31, 2018 7:03 Markus Schaaf via aur-general escreveu:

> I don't want to impute bad intentions to you, but this behavioural
> pattern might be a root of the problem. This isn't a technical
> discussion. It's about social interactions and emotions. You can't just
> weigh facts and find /the/ truth. It's widely believed that the best we
> have come up with, to reach consensus in large communities, is voting.
> An equivalent on a mailing list would be to show support through
> iterating a position in one's own words. What you have written above is
> like trying to cut off a protest march on the grounds that the first 20
> protesters already made their point clear, so there would be no reason
> for the next 2000 to reiterate it again.

This is a mail list with a specific purpose. I don't think equating this with
a protest is accurate.

> This thread might make some people feel uncomfortable. But rightly so.
> This is not only about some TUs employing a harsh and repellent style of
> communication. This is also about the community of TUs letting this
> happen for years.

I'm not uncomfortable with this *thread*. But there was no progress in the
discussion. Only ḿore piling on and ranting.

> I don't. What makes you so confident? I do believe in man's ability to
> change. But this often needs a bit of pressure.

What was happening on this thread was not pressure, was ranting and rumbling.
And public ranting and rumbling achieves no goal, at all. Except more ranting
and rumbling. I'm confident for reasons that do not need to be exposed on the
list.

> (Don't forget that moderation means to arbitrate, not to censor.)

The list is now in emergency moderation.

Regard,
Giancarlo Razzolini