[aur-general] Fwd: Replacing package

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Aug 5 22:26:00 UTC 2019

On 8/5/19 6:19 PM, Chris Billington via aur-general wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 6:02 PM Rhys Perry via aur-general <
> aur-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> I have a package (i3-gaps-rounded) and would like to rename it to
>> i3-gaps-rounded-git in order to comply with standards. What would I have to
>> add to the PKGBUILD of each packages in order to force people who have
>> installed i3-gaps-rounded to move to i3-gaps-rounded-git?

> provides=(i3-wm i3-gaps-rounded)
> replaces=(i3-gaps-rounded)

While it is technically true that the "replaces" metadata would "force
people who had one, to install the other", the proper answer is "do not
force people to do that if they were expecting a stable version,
replaces are for when software is renamed".

The other answer is "the AUR is not a sync repository and therefore does
not support replaces, it is possible there are AUR helpers which
implement it though" (or they would, if the RPC interface actually
supported that sort of search).

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User