[aur-general] TU membership application

Sven-Hendrik Haase svenstaro at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 00:00:03 UTC 2019

On Sat, 17 Aug 2019 at 01:35, Josef Miegl <josef at miegl.cz> wrote:

> On August 16, 2019 10:05:54 PM GMT+02:00, "Balló György via aur-general" <
> aur-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
> >anydesk, reaper, spotify, teamviewer, unity-editor and unityhub are
> >proprietary software with restrictive license. I don't think that you
> >can legally distribute them
>
> Even if we could, is there a reason to flood arch repositories with these
> proprietary programs? In my opinion proprietary programs should be an
> exception, not the norm.

Josef Miegl

Whether they are proprietary or not has never been a large concern for
Arch. What concerns us is whether they are useful or not and whether they'd
actually be used by any amount of people. Arch is all about pragmatism.

Sometimes, binary blobs are inconvenient for us because if they break we
can't fix them. However, that's an entirely separate can of worms which I
don't want to open in this thread.

Bottom line: If it's legal to package and it's useful and popular software,
there's really no reason not to package it.