[aur-general] TU membership application

Jean Lucas jean at 4ray.co
Sat Aug 17 00:52:14 UTC 2019

On Sat, 2019-08-17 at 02:00 +0200, Sven-Hendrik Haase via aur-general
wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Aug 2019 at 01:35, Josef Miegl <josef at miegl.cz> wrote:
>
> > On August 16, 2019 10:05:54 PM GMT+02:00, "Balló György via aur-
> > general" <
> > aur-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
> > > anydesk, reaper, spotify, teamviewer, unity-editor and unityhub
> > > are
> > > proprietary software with restrictive license. I don't think that
> > > you
> > > can legally distribute them
> >
> > Even if we could, is there a reason to flood arch repositories with
> > these
> > proprietary programs? In my opinion proprietary programs should be
> > an
> > exception, not the norm.
> >

> Josef Miegl
>
> Whether they are proprietary or not has never been a large concern
> for
> Arch. What concerns us is whether they are useful or not and whether
> they'd
> actually be used by any amount of people. Arch is all about
> pragmatism.
>
> Sometimes, binary blobs are inconvenient for us because if they break
> we
> can't fix them. However, that's an entirely separate can of worms
> which I
> don't want to open in this thread.
>
> Bottom line: If it's legal to package and it's useful and popular
> software,
> there's really no reason not to package it.

This is the way I see it as well. Libre or open-source solutions can
come along anytime to replace their proprietary counterparts, if
someone or a group has enough will to do so; but until then, having the
best tool available for the job, even if it is proprietary, seems like
a decent idea to me.