[aur-general] TU membership application

Santiago Torres-Arias santiago at archlinux.org
Sun Aug 18 02:51:57 UTC 2019

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 03:19:56PM -0400, Jean Lucas via aur-general wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thank you for your time, and thank you to all who help make Arch a great OS!

Always happy to help! :)

It's customary to review PKGBUILDS for new applicants.  This is somewhat
of a quick/cursory review over 3 random packages as I've been in
conferences for the whole week.

== Overall ==

- It appears you need quote strings way more everywhere, from deps, to licenses
  to variables....
- Consider that base-devel is assumed to exist for makedepends and (iirc).

== Beaker ==

- This depends array has to be wrong
- This makedepends array too. you should make sure things aren't depending on
  py2 anymore
- I'm also a little confused, did you take over the namespace of another
  project called beaker? Why not just call this beaker browser?

== Oxy ==

- I think you should document why you're cherry-picking that commit rather than
  using a tag. Admittedly this is probably upstream's fault, but still, better
  to be clear.
- Again, I think your depends are either too verbose or wrong.

== stf ==

- This appears to me it's a -bin package
- npm -i -g --prefix seems like a good way to overwrite a bunch of system files
  and/or cause a bunch of file conflicts
- I think you can use $pkgname more often, namely when resolving the url and
  resolving the tgz file
- I'm curious to know where you got those depends arays, they seem to be a
  little off... do you really need python, graphicksmagic and protobuf to
  basically extract a tarball?
- I'm also not sure why *everything* is just blindly put on /usr

== Conclusion ==

- I think you are on the right path, but some decisions made me wonder whether
  your sponsors actually reviewed the PKGBUILDS with you.

Hope this helps,
-Santiago