[aur-general] Trusted user application: Drew DeVault

alad alad at archlinux.org
Wed Feb 27 08:16:27 UTC 2019

Am 27.02.2019 um 07:56 schrieb Eli Schwartz via aur-general:
> On 2/27/19 1:37 AM, Brett Cornwall via aur-general wrote:
>> On 2019-02-27 02:09, alad via aur-general wrote:
>>> Considering some recent issues regarding team behavior [1] in Arch, I'm
>>> going to have to ask on some of your previous interactions with the
>>> community, and open-source in general. I had two examples in particular,
>>> the MineTest community [2], and interaction with other Arch users on
>>> ArchWiki [3].
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2018-October/034461.html
>>>
>>> [2] https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18156980
>>> [3]
>>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?title=XDG_Base_Directory&diff=prev&oldid=391411
>>>

>>> By definition, a TU has to interact with users of community packages
>>> (bug reports, emails, coordination with the rest of the Arch team, ...),
>>> and users of the AUR in general (AUR requests, peace-keeping,
>>> interactions with previous maintainers when promoting packages, ...).
>>> This means that if aggressive behavior such as the above is part of some
>>> general theme, there is a clear problematic.
>>>
>>> Note that this is _not_ meant as a witch-hunt of any sort - nor do I
>>> have any kind of personal involvement here. I do however value healthy
>>> communication in the Arch community, and believe any TU candidate should
>>> value it as well.
>>
>> I would also chip in with the following from early 2017:
>>
>> https://github.com/swaywm/sway/issues/1227
>>

>> (I am also not in any sort of witch hunt, just thought this would be
>> relevant.)
> If the only thing we can find to complain about is his attitude towards
> Manjaro, then we obviously cannot find anything to complain about. :)

It's not about the _what_, but about the _how_. The issue could have
been easily closed with "I don't support Manjaro", rather than a series
of insults. What if a Manjaro user files a bug on the bugtracker for one
of the Arch packages? I hope no package maintainer in Arch would act the
same.

I get that emotions fly high whenever Manjaro gets involved, but I just
don't see the point in addressing (public!) bug reports like this.