[aur-general] package review request: gog-pyre

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Jan 6 17:38:43 UTC 2019

On 1/4/19 10:45 PM, JereBear wrote:
> Interesting. In the strictest case, the first phase of parsing the file scheme
> could consist of matching ^file:(\/\/([a-z0-9-]+)?)? and providing default
> values for missing capture groups. But this only makes sense if the file
> scheme is, well, to be supported. I'll think on this.

Also this would need to be supported in makepkg first, before adding it
to aurweb. aurweb is written in python, but makepkg is written in bash.

> Thanks for the info about the local pseudo-scheme. I've made a note to
> file a feature request on bugs.archlinux.org, asking for documentation.
> (Obligatory "and maybe a patch, but don't count on it.") And I'll switch to
> using it.

Documentation is always good! You're not the first one to ask about
where local:// is documented, I think, but documentation issues are
difficult to remember without a bug report when the people most likely
to be writing documentation think it is obvious because they've read the
implementation. :p

>> makechrootpkg is designed to run makepkg in a highly controlled
>> environment suitable for official packaging. It's undesirable for
>> makepkg settings like PKGEXT to leak from a developer's machine into the
>> environment used for uploading packages to the official repos.
>>
>> If you need something else, then don't use extra-x86_64-build, and
>> instead mkarchroot with the makepkg.conf you want to initialize into the
>> chroot. Or use arch-nspawn -M <file> to copy your makepkg.conf over the
>> next time you do chroot administration.
>
> Ah-ha! It's good to know the target use case for extra-x86_64-build and
> makechrootpkg. And I hadn't thought about using separate chroots for public vs
> private builds, or inserting files with arch-nspawn -M $file. Good stuff.

the different tools have lots of cool options. ;)

makechrootpkg lets you use existing chroots configurably created with
mkarchroot, extra-x86_64-build is just a convenience script designed for
the official repos which:
- handles mkarchroot automatically
- updates the root/ chroot
- hardcodes official defaults that are usually suitable for users too

The aurutils AUR helper does contain its own `aur build` wrapper which
uses mkarchroot and makechrootpkg directly, while also exposing
makepkg.conf as an option.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User