[aur-general] Purge of packages orphaned, out-of-date, and last updated before 2017

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Jan 27 00:04:28 UTC 2019

On 1/22/19 12:16 AM, Daniel M. Capella via aur-general wrote:
> Based on the loosely defined "cleanup criteria"[], we're overdue for a
> little purge. The candidates can be found here:
>
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&SeB=nd&K=&outdated=on&SB=l&SO=a&PP=250&do_Orphans=Orphans
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=250&SeB=nd&outdated=on&SB=l&SO=a&PP=250&do_Orphans=Orphans
>
> Please run `aurphan -a` to see if you have any orphaned AUR packages installed,
> and do everyone a favor by adopting them.
>
> If there are no objections, it will be done this weekend. A reply will
> be sent for record-keeping with the list of packages prior to deletion.
>
> []: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:AUR_Cleanup_Day#Possible_reasons

In addition to Alad's point about how he once did the same thing and it
did *not* turn out well, I simply don't fathom how you even read what
you did in the AUR Cleanup Day wikipage.

You are darn right those are loosely defined -- those rules could be
interpreted so loosely as to delete practically any package ever. Hence
why that page actually has nothing to do with making up excuses for some
TU to unilaterally purge random packages en masse.

The page is as it self-describes, a page discussing how to hold the
semi-regular experience of users looking for old and unmaintained
packages and submitting waves of deletion requests.

If you would like to do an Alad, please justify it on the grounds that
you yourself want to and decided to do so -- don't try to pretend that
"the Wiki told me to". Because no, the Wiki did not tell you to delete
huge numbers of packages without warning, review, or a chance to let the
people who use the packages appeal the decision on a per-package level.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User