[aur-general] Purge of packages orphaned, out-of-date, and last updated before 2017

Alad Wenter alad at archlinux.org
Sun Jan 27 02:11:53 UTC 2019

On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 08:50:48PM -0500, Daniel M. Capella via aur-general wrote:
> Quoting David Runge (2019-01-26 05:23:37)
> > On 2019-01-26 08:01:46 (+0100), Alad Wenter via aur-general wrote:
> > > Not too long after I became TU I deleted something of ~2000 packages,
> > > based on similar "criteria" and after seeing no "objections" on IRC
> > > after a while. After the deed was done I got emails, angry shouting on
> > > IRC and complaints for the following 6 months on BBS and other places.
> > "they took our packages" *rantyface* *screaming*
> >
> > > tl;dr use requests like everyone else, or patch aurweb to have "batch requests"
> > Yes, please requests! This way stuff at least gets to the mailing list
> > and is somewhat documented.
> >
> > --
> > https://sleepmap.de
>
> Thank you for your level-headed responses. More to add to my long list
> of aurweb patch ideas.
>
> I wonder if Johannes' "Make delete and merge links create an
> auto-accepted request" patch[] being deployed would be sufficient. I
> readily accept requests for this criteria, but couldn't imagine manually
> accepting almost 500 of them with the current setup.
>
> https://patchwork.archlinux.org/patch/911/

That's exactly the issue. It's not because you or I might accept these
criteria (and corresponding requests) as valid, that everyone else does.
e.g.

https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-requests/2017-November/020347.html

As to the patch linked, I don't see how it's relevant to this
discussion. The "paper trail" from such a mass deletion wouldn't include
a reason for said deletion, nor a chance for people to oppose deletion
of specific packages.

Alad